Meet our owners...of Knipefold Barn
Published: Tuesday 2nd Apr 2019
Written by: Natalie Barker
We recently asked our Knipefold Barn owners, Mr & Mrs Pattrick, a few questions. We wanted to find out more about their Lake District holiday property, Knipefold Barn, and about holiday letting in Cumbria and the Lake District. Here’s what they told us;
1. What inspired you to start holiday letting in the Lake District?
We've been lifelong lovers of the Lake District and we also love our dogs. We found that it could be very difficult to find top quality holiday cottages that accept dogs and so felt that there was a gap in the market.
2. What have you found challenging about holiday letting?
Living over 200 miles away can be a challenge at times. Having a great agent and trusted local service providers is key.
3. What do you enjoy about holiday letting?
It's great when we receive feedback from guests who love Knipefold Barn as much as we do. Thankfully this happens quite often!
4. What advice would you give to someone who is considering letting their property as a holiday cottage in the Lake District?
It's a balance between emotion and business. You need to be able to deal with this.
5. What drew you to Knipefold Barn?
Knipefold Barn is a truly special place. It has a unique feel and is located centrally in our favourite part of the Lakes.
6. Can you tell us about the history or a story about your property, Knipefold Barn?
We understand that Knipefold Barn is over 300 years old. However, it was converted to an exceptionally high standard just 10 years ago with modern conveniences but with a traditional feel.
7. What’s your favourite room in Knipefold Barn? And why do you love it so much?
That's a really difficult one! Literally every room has something special to offer. On balance though it would have to be the stunning open plan lounge/diner/kitchen with its vaulted ceiling and glorious views over the Esthwaite Valley with glimpses of Esthwaite Water.
8. What are the best three features about the accommodation at Knipefold Barn, that your guests can enjoy?
1) The truly unique feel of the Barn is created by the hand crafted structural oak, local slate heated flooring, and clever use of charming existing features.
2) Guests love the warm beamed bedrooms with modern high end bathrooms.
3) The open plan lounge/diner/kitchen provides a special space to enjoy precious time with family and friends.
9. Is there a detail or hidden gem at your holiday cottage that guests may miss if they didn’t know it was there?
1) We love the little alcove in the stonework as you approach the top floor. It's home to a miniature hedgehog!
2) The handmade oak front doors (yes, there are two of them!) incorporate sliding oak shutters that are beautifully crafted and typify the stunning attention to detail on display throughout Knipefold Barn.
10. Can you recommend a restaurant, pub or cafe local to Knipefold Barn, where guests could enjoy a nice meal?
The Drunken Duck (just over a mile away) has a great reputation and never disappoints. However, there are six great pubs within a 1.5 mile radius of Knipefold Barn including four in Hawkshead. On balance in Hawkshead we'd go for the Queen's Head for great food and informal good service.
11. Where would you recommend guests who stay at Knipefold Barn visit during their Lake District holiday?
The list would be a very long one! There is almost limitless walking and cycling straight from the Barn, but if you do get in the car the cottage is centrally placed to explore all of the attractions and wonders of this World Heritage Site. Near to the cottage we'd go to Tarn Hows (1.5 miles), Hawkshead (1.3 miles), Grizedale Forest (1 mile), and Wray Castle (3 miles).
12. And finally, is there anything you’d like to say to holidaymakers who are considering a holiday in the Lake District?
If you've never been before, come and try it! It's a truly special place that won’t disappoint.
Knipefold Barn is a truly stunning 5-star property in a stunning location with lots of fantastic places to visit nearby. For more information or to book a stay at Knipefold Barn please CLICK HERE