Summer Fun in the Lake District
We all love it when the weather gets better and days get longer, but these aren’t the only factors that make Summer holidays in the Lake District so special. There’s a choice of things to do in the Lake District during the Summer months, so if you need some inspiration look no further! Our holiday cottages are a great base for you to enjoy and relax in, in-between the all the fun you can have with friends and family.
Things to do with children in the Lake District
We know that the smaller members of your group have endless amounts of energy, but there are lots of things to do with the children in Lake District.
Where’s Peter Rabbit? A live theatre show at The Old Laundry Theatre in Bowness on Windermere running to 3rd September.
- There’s a huge choice of activities at Brockhole on Windermere; including treetop treks, adventure playground, boat hire, mini golf, pony rides and archery.
- Be a Gruffalo Spotter at Grizedale Forest near Hawkshead, use the app or activity kit to enjoy a fun day exploring the forest with your children.
- Visit Fairy and Dragon World at Hayes Garden World in Ambleside. Search for the Dragon Egg and spot the Fairy doors, just make sure you don’t step on any Fairies!
- Your children can meet Peter Rabbit and his friends at Beatrix Potter World in Bowness on Windermere.
- Wray Castle near Hawkshead is a very different National Trust attraction and provides lots of fun rooms for children to explore.
Lake District Events
The team at Good Life Lake District Cottages will be out and about again this Summer. We love meeting holiday makers at the local Events, and hope to see many of you again this year.
We will be at the below events in 2017, so please come and say hi. We always have sweets and dog biscuits for the various members of your group!
- Langdale Gala in Chapel Stile on Sunday 2nd July
- Coniston Country Show on Sunday 23rd July
- Ambleside Sports in Ambleside on Thursday 27th July
- Hawkshead Agricultural Show on Tuesday 22nd August
- Grasmere Sports on Sunday 27th August
- Westmorland County Show on Thursday 14th September
Lake District Culture
The Lake District isn’t just about walking the Wainwrights, we have lots of historical and cultural attractions for you to enjoy during your stay too.
- Beatrix Potter’s Lake District can be enjoyed at Hilltop Farm near Hawkshead, the Armitt Museum in Ambleside and the National Trust Gallery in Hawkshead Village itself.
- If you enjoy poetry William Wordsworth’s Dove Cottage in Grasmere and Rydal Mount are a must.
- Blackwell House in Windermere is a stunning Art Deco property with beautiful views over Lake Windermere.
- Lake District Summer music festivals are held at various locations, you can enjoy classical, jazz and opera artists at these events.
- Abbott Hall and The Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal hold various art exhibitions all year round.
Lake District Food and Drink
There are some fine food and drink producers in the Lake District, and some great pubs and restaurants too.
- The Hawkshead Relish Company produces and sells some delicious jams, chutneys and sauces. Check out their hampers too!
- Romneys Kendal Mintcake is well known, not just in the Lake District, and a delicious snack for on the fells or a tasty treat after a meal with a coffee.
- If you like gingerbread you must visit Grasmere for some Sarah Nelson’s Gingerbread, it is delicious and apparently the best in the world!
- There are some great alcohol producers in the Lake District, including Hawkshead Brewery, Legendary Ales, Lake District Distillery and Kin Vodka.
We can’t list all the places we would recommend to eat at in the Lake District, but here are a few:
- The Old Stamp House in Ambleside
- Forest Side in Grasmere
- The Drunken Duck near Hawkshead
- The Britannia Inn in Elterwater
- Eltermere Inn in Elterwater
- Homeground in Windermere
Exploring the Lake District
There’s a variety of activities and ways to explore the Lake District, you don’t have to do the exploring on foot with walking boots on.
- The Mountain Goat Tours take visitors on lots of routes to various locations around the Lake District.
- You can book an off road experience with Kankuu and drive their 4 x 4 vehicles while stopping to enjoy the National Park and views it has to offer.
- Hire bikes from Ghyllside Cycles in Ambleside.
- Get closer to the Lakes with a boat trip with Windermere Lake Cruises, Ullswater Steamer or the Gondola on Coniston.
While we highly recommend these fun things to do in the Lake District we also don’t want to forget our self catering holiday cottages. If you haven’t yet planned to holiday in the Lake District this year don’t leave it too long, as our holiday cottages get booked up fast. We have a variety of self catering properties for you to choose from, in a choice of locations. We have holiday cottages in Ambleside, the Langdales and Grasmere and some beautiful hamlets such as Outgate, Skelwith and Clappersgate too. Our holiday properties have a variety of facilities including games rooms, open fires/log burners, easy walks to a pub, private gardens, lake views and all our holiday cottages come with wifi.
If you need help choosing your holiday cottage in the Lake District please don’t hesitate to call our friendly team on 015394 37147.