Summer Events in the Lake District
Published: Monday 11th Jul 2016
Written by: Natalie Barker
The Good Life Cottage Company have a fun-filled Summer planned! We are attending more shows than ever before, and cannot wait to get out and about again this season!
We set up our stand on the dew-filled fields early in the morning and spend hours trying to make it look as welcoming as our holiday cottages. The Good Life Cottage Company’s white tent is filled with colourful property pictures, flowers, sweets and dog biscuits….hoping to catch your eye as you enjoy a family day out. During each event we chat to visitors, property owners, local residents and businesses. We enjoy telling passers-by about our Lake District holiday cottages and the quality letting services that we provide. As well as the all important sweets and dog biscuits we have a free prize draw, giving everyone the opportunity to win the fantastic prize of £150 off a stay at one of our self catering holiday cottages.
There are traditional Lakeland events that are not only fun to take part in, but also to watch.
Cumberland Wrestling is an ancient form of wrestling which involves the two competitors standing chest to chest with their arms around each other. The aim is to unbalance the opponent and make them ‘fall’ to the ground. Children and Adults of all ages take part in this event, and if you’re really lucky the competitors will be wearing a pair of long johns and embroidered pants.
Where there are Fells, there are Fell Races! It is always impressive seeing the super fit come from far and wide to make 100s of metres of steep, rocky track look like a walk in the park. Watching the runners climb up and down like a string of colourful ants makes the fells look even more impressive than normal!
Sheep Shearing demos, animal classes, crafts tents and local food producers are always in attendance at the summer events too!
This year The Good Life Cottage Company will be at the following events:
- Coniston Country Fair on Sunday 24th July: On the shore of Coniston Lake with sports events and animal classes for everyone.
- Ambleside Sports on Thursday 28th July: A traditional Lakeland sports event held at Rydal Park.
- Hawkshead Show on Tuesday 23rd August: If you’re a horse lover, this is the show for you!
- Grasmere Sports on Sunday 28th August: Running and Wrestling on Grasmere Sports field.
- Lowick on Saturday 3rd September: An agricultural show in the Crake Valley.
- Westmorland County Show on Thursday 8th September: The largest event on the calendar this year with 1000s of visitors enjoying a packed days schedule.
We have already been to the Langdale Gala, in Chapel Stile. You can read more here about the fun we had on the day at the Gala.
The Good Life Cottage Company loves talking cottages and being able to do this while supporting these local events really is win win for us! So, if you are in the area on any of the above dates pop by our stand to enter our prize draw, talk about our cottages, letting services or to simply say hi and pick up a lollipop!